Thursday, October 4, 2012

Ian here... it's taken me a while with my own life to do what Mark needs. Here's the letter Brian sent him before he "went off to the loony bin" as he says. 

Mark,

Don’t mind how long it’s been. I’ve just been busy over here. I’m not a big fan of the desert; it sucks the life right out of me. I usually don’t have time to write any letters at all. It’s been a while since we’ve really gotten to talk about anything and I’ve been thinking about high school a lot. Those really weren’t the worst times but just as often I didn’t really care about anything.

Oh, I had things I enjoyed about it, don’t get me wrong. Lunch was always fun, Ralph, Kyle, Becky and you and I never really let things get too boring but we also got out of control a few times. I’m surprised we didn’t get suspended more often. Mr. Leils kept his eye on us but never really called us out on anything. I kind of think he knows we started that food fight with the soccer guys in freshman year… and the one in sophomore.

Not that we didn’t get punished for it anyway… our whole grade had to clean it up both times. Didn’t you go home to get out of it once? I think it was Sophomore year. I don’t blame you but I also didn’t really mind doing it. It could have been a whole lot worse.

The thing is, those really weren’t the worst things we did were they? Remember when you locked Becky and Ralph into that janitor’s closet? She was a good sport about it because she knew us but damn was Mrs. Rayleigh pissed that they didn’t make it back for art class. Come to think of it they missed their next class too didn’t they? You had to give Becky  notes for Spanish class so she didn’t fail the test the next day.

Leaving all of it behind was pretty hard, especially those three. But it was always going to happen and I don’t think they were the kind of friends you kept after you stopped going to school with them. Not that there’s anything wrong with them.

On the contrary, I still sort of miss them.

Oh and one other thing I really miss about high school: Dan’s cousin Jeff was always cracking jokes during convocations. That was the only thing that made it worth not skipping those days.

Keep your chin up, Mark
-Brian
Mark has something he wants me to show from him to anyone reading this but that'll have to wait, I just now finished this.

No comments:

Post a Comment